Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am the birth father of a child whose mother is and was…

Customer Question
I am the birth...

I am the birth father of a child whose mother is and was married to another man at the time of birth. They were and still are separated. I am no longer with the mother and need to know what rights I have. I've been told I have none while she is still married. The mother allows me minimal visits and will not agree to an equal time shared plan. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet I didn't know if it would be a waste of time because of her married situation

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also am I obligated to pay her anything right now and if I were to keep her longer when I do get her would I get in trouble

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I'm ready

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would need lawyer to file paternity suit here.You would want a dna test and then court gives you joint legal custody and you get visitation with the child.The court would set child support.

It is also possible you might get physical custody here and she pays you child support.But you have to file here and be named legal father and go from there. You have rights here regardless of her marriage as the bio dad.

Lawyer for you here

Lawyer Referral Service

Request A Referral Online 24/7

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m

I appreciate the chance to help you, wish you the best.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Court would give child your last name here too.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok so I do not have to wait till she gets divorced to go forward with filing for joint custody?

No you do not if you are bio father the child is no longer part of divorce.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer