Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is committing adultery still an Arizona law. I have a called…

Customer Question
Is committing adultery still...

Is committing adultery still an Arizona law

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

I have a called my lawyer but he is busy

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Non

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well my ex is taking me to court for sending harassing texts so I want to know if it is still a law in the state of Arizona I want that to be my defense. I am not using my lawyer because of his fees I just want to know if adultery is against the law in Arizona

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Technically, yes.

Adultery is still on the books as a crime in the state of Arizona.

It's listed as a misdemeanor in Arizona Revised Statutes, ARS 13-1408.

See:

https://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/01408.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

However, this is not actually enforced.

It's just a very old law that's still on the books.

Judges, police officers, and prosecutors no longer enforce this law.

Arizona is also a no fault divorce state, so adultery is not something that someone can be penalized for by the divorce judge either.

I'm sorry to not have better new for you, but I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!