Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter-in-law, who has custody of my two grandsons, 4…

My daughter-in-law, who has...

My daughter-in-law, who has custody of my two grandsons, 4 and 2 does not allow me to see them. I believe I have grandparent visitation rights. I live in North Carolina. How can I get visitation?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NC family court?

No, wanting to find out for sure if I can do that

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, you're it.1

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She apparently has a personality disorder (Borderline) and has demonized me for the 5 years she has known my son. She has full custody presently but my son hopes to change that in the near future. The boys have spent significant time with me at my home with my son and are very familiar and loving to me. I have not seen them since last July 31st.

3/27/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Where is their father and what does he say about the visitation?

Is there a court ordered visitation and custody order?

My son has own apartment near the boys and sees them a couple time a week. He currently does not have a license to drive. Should I pursue visitation right for myself he wouldn’t back me up. That would incur her wrath. They are separated
We’re going in circles here, did you see response that my son has an apartment. They have an ageeement in place. He would incur her wrath were he to be involved with my getting visitation.
Under NC law you can only file for GP visitation if it is attached to a pending petition for custody/visitation. So, if your son is unwilling to file that, pretty much, puts the kabash on you moving forward.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.
Thank you, ***** ***** give me info I didn’t have before and will help me know what I can and can’t do. This is interesting information. Thank so much!
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer