Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I are separated but not yet ready to file for…

Customer Question
My husband and I are...
My husband and I are separated but not yet ready to file for divorce because of financial reasons. We agree on everything that would need to be included in a separation agreement. We are in the process of writing one up since we had one from a couple years ago when we first separated we just have to tweak that one with the accurate information. IF we sign in front of a notary is it considered a legal document?
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Yes, it would be considered a legal document if signed by both of your and notarized.

However a divorce would not be official until you petition the court for a divorce and attach your separation agreement.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Eventually when we decide to file for divorce the document will probably be taken to a lawyer to file for an uncontested divorce or taken to a mediator who can help with filing.
Thank you for your response.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

That would work!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones