Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister is still a minor, 16, living in Florida with our…

My sister is still a...
My sister is still a minor, 16, living in Florida with our mother. If I buy a car in my name, what recourse do I have, if any, to allow my sister to use the car without interference from our mother? She and I do not speak, and I am worried she will not allow my sister to use the car or store it on her property.
3/27/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, as long as she is a minor, her legal guardian has the right to control her actions. Even if you buy a car in your name, your mother as her legal guardian can prevent her from using it or having it on the property. Your mother can also obtain a restraining order against you prohibiting you from having further contact with your sister if you disobey your mom's wishes regarding your younger sister who is legally subject to your mom's authority.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Understood. Do you have any other suggestions as to how I might help my sister out with the situation? She has not been allowed to get a driver's license until she has her own car and insurance. She has handled this well, gotten a job, and is looking to buy a car soon, but knowing our mother, I fully expect her to take it away at some point. With such a big purchase like that, I don't know what my sister can do to protect herself, if anything, and was hoping putting it in my name could help.Thank you!

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately if she has no license and is a minor, she still needs mom to get her license. However, once she has her license, you can get her a car and let her use it when she is with you and let her store it at your property, but your mom still has final say as guardian and if your mom does not want her driving, then she can stop you by getting the restraining order.

If your sister can support herself and live on her own without assistance, then the only other option is for your sister to get emancipated and upon doing so she can move from your mom's house and control her own affairs. She would need a local attorney to represent her in the emancipation and she has to demonstrate to the court she can manage her own affairs and support herself without assistance.

Unfortunate, but understood. Thank you for your help.

Thank you.