Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I got divorced about 5 years ago. We had 1 daughter (7 years…

I got divorced about 5...
I got divorced about 5 years ago. We had 1 daughter (7 years old). None of us re-married.
We both wanted to inherit all of our asset to each other in case 1 of us dies. Since we are no longer married, what kind of paperwork we need to make this legal? Thanks
3/27/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

You can each execute a Last Will and Testament naming the other as the beneficiary of your estates (any assets titled solely in your names). Do keep in mind that it is a good idea to name an alternate beneficiary or beneficiaries in the event your former spouse predeceases you. Also, should either one of you remarry, understand that a new spouse cannot be cut out of an estate, and could file a claim against the estate for a spousal share, regardless of what your Last Will and Testament says.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Good morning,Do I have to hire an attorney to do this? Or can we write an agreement and notarized it? Thanks
You don’t need an attorney, but there is specific language used in Wills and they must be executed properly or could be invalid. You can use a site like Legalzoom or Rocket Lawyer to help create your Wills.
thank you
You’re most welcome. Happy to help.