Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is mentally abusive and I'm thinking of asking…

My husband is mentally...

My husband is mentally abusive and I'm thinking of asking for a divorce. He is disabled and has family nearby. I don't have any family that is close (3 hours away). He is threatening to kick me out of the house. We owe taxes and we borrowed money to pay the IRS now he's trying to threaten me saying I did not get permission to put his name on the loan also. I need advice on what I should do with staying in the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Nothing. He left the house with his mother on Sunday. A neighbor called the police because he was screaming so loud. He even broke glass items and the police say the glass all over the hallway. They said that was abuse but I didn't file a restaining order or press charges. I just want to go our separate ways but don't think it's going to be that easy All I want is for him to help me finish updating the house and divide what we both have. We have separate accounts because I pay all the bills with my account. This include all the insurance, truck payment, house but his name is ***** ***** house also. I know his style and he would rather send the house back and ruin our names because he would have a place to go and I wouldn't. I cannot just up and move back home because I have a job here

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know honestly. I don't think so just need guidance

3/27/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The sign in said $5.00 you just charged me $47.00..... What the heck!
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I cannot talk here - I'm at work

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help.

Billing is handled entirely through customer support, not through any of the attorneys on the site. However yes, I do believe the charge is around $47, $5 is just the initial deposit.

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

Would you still like to continue?

If not, you can contact customer support at this link to discuss any billing issues:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Just let me know if you'd like to continue and I can type up the information you need, thanks!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
If I can get guidance I can pay the $47 but that's all I can do...
Please provide me with what legal rights I have to at least stay in the house until we can get it updated to sell if that's the only option. I live in a small community and there are very few places to rent. Like I said he has his mother to stay with.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am not trying to take advantage of anyone. I just want us to go our separate ways but he will make it very difficult.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
are you there?

Of course, no problem.

Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your situation and your divorce.

No, your husband cannot force you to move out of the house while the divorce is pending, and he does need to continue equitably sharing bills/ utilities with you.

If you both jointly owed money to repay taxes to the IRS, then you cannot be penalized for a joint loan taken to repay that debt, despite allegations he may make.

Aside from that, Illinois is an equitable distribution state which means that the judge will try to reach a fair and equitable distribution of your funds, assets, and debts, but that does not necessarily mean a 50/50 split.

In addition to a division of assets and debts, you can also petition the court for alimony and child support if you have children.

You can also petition the court for temporary alimony while the divorce is pending, to have financial assistance from your husband in the interim, especially if he is the main financial provider.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
can you email this to me with your letter head so that I can have proof of legal advice??
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
if you cannot please let me know because I want to copy this conversation.

JustAnswer explicitly offers general legal information only and no attorney client relationships are formed. The information shared here does not constitute legal advice, as such I wouldn't be able to e-mail you on my personal letterhead.

Let me know if you still have any questions about your pending divorce.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
is there a website I could research and find out more if needed? not a person and not charge me any more?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
are you still there?

Yes, there's the Illinois Legal Aid.

Here's the link to their site:

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/getting-divorce

There's also the Illinois Courts Self-Help:

www.illinoiscourts.gov/citizen.asp

I hope that helps!

Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones