Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am looking for a pro bono attorney. NY. This is custody…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for a pro bono attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is custody and divorce

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

It is not easy to find a pro bono lawyer for a civil matter because the demand for them is so much greater than the supply. However, there are agencies which at the very least can walk you through what you have to do and advise you, even if they don't have the staff to be able to represent you themselves.

Here are some links to New York's pro-bono resources.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/freehelp.cfm?id=NY

Almost all of these agencies are for civil rather than criminal matters, and people in the pro bono loop usually know of still others who can assist you with your issue. So you may have to make a lot of phone calls, but you should be able to get at least some hands-on assistance.

Another thought is that you are in New York, where there is a host of law schools. A good resource available for free or low priced legal assistance is law school clinics where law students research, write and handle actual cases and issues under the supervision of a practicing professor/lawyer. Some of these law school clinics have wonderful reputations, and if a court appearance is called for, the professor goes to court.

Law students are trained legal researchers. They are energetic, idealistic and enjoy putting their efforts into a cause they can believe in. Here's a list of New York Law schools. The kinds of clinics that they have are noted on the list.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new-york+law+school+clinics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Good luck!

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.