Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex is refusing to follow our court order for possession.

Customer Question
After Mom moved to California...
My ex is refusing to follow our court order for possession. After Mom moved to California, she was supposed to send the kids back to Texas for possession, but she says the kids don't want to go and she's not going to force them. I am out of money, credit and assets after years of court battles so I cannot go back to court for a solution. Texas offers a program in some of the larger counties for Visitation Enforcement: https://www.traviscountytx.gov/dro/enforce-visitDoes California have anything similar?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You would file a motion to compel and hold in contempt. It would cite to the order and the various violations as well as your good faith efforts to have her comply, that went ignored.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am unable to hire a lawyer for any more legal action. Does California offer a program similar to the one in Texas:https://www.traviscountytx.gov/dro/enforce-visit

I am not aware of such a program in the state, aside from proceeding in court, but I will opt out in case a colleague may be so aware or have other alternatives for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you, ***** ***** someone else take a shot at the question
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In CA, if one parent is not complying with a custody and visitation order, the District Attorney in each county has an "Child Abduction and Recovery Unit" that can be used to enforce court orders. See: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1188.htm

However, if the DA cannot force compliance, you would be forced to file a contempt motion in the court where the order was issued and then seek enforcement from the CA courts.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer