Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My lawyer is not responding back to me and have had a court…

Hello..my lawyer is not...

Hello..my lawyer is not responding back to me and have had a court order for. 2yrs to get QDRO settlement from my ex husband retirement account

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

What can i do at this point

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just whats next for me

3/27/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

So has a QDRO been prepared and submitted to the plan administrator?

He replied over a year ago that he submitted papers..but everytime i trued contacting it was always excused..now he not responding because he have had so many diffent excuses of why I have not received
No i dont have noney to switch to a call

There are a few different things that can be done:

1. contacting the attorney's office manager to locate the document and have them finish the process

2. sue the attorney for breach of contract and negligence

3. hire a new attorney to prepare and submit the QDRO.

4. file a complaint against an attorney that fails to keep the client informed per rule 4:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/nc/code/NC_CODE.HTM

Up until the plan receives a valid qdro the employed party can withdraw funds, retire, or die- all of which would affect one's interest in the account. So time is of the essence.

I reviewed your responses after I posted;

that is an autogenerated call request and I dont participate in that premium service so if you have any follow up questions please post here-otherwise kindly rate 5 stars so the site credits me for my time. Thank you.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer