Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I own a home together as tenants in common with…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I own a home together as tenants in common with me having a 25% interest and she has a 75% interest and we are separated without a chance of reconciliation. Is it possible in any way for me to sell or get the 25% value of that home without having a divorce? She is still living there but I have moved out. Thank you for responding it will be greatly appreciated.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No not sure where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That was my main concern right now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Absent a contractual prohibition or restraint to the contrary, tenants in common may sell their interest without the consnt of the co owner. The difficulty would be in finding someone who wants to own a minority interest in residential property with your spouse. Also, there is no right to take possession by your buyer since this is, presumably, your wife’s homestead.
Additionally, if the new buyer wanted title insurance, because of the spousal homestead interest, the title company would require your wife to sign off on the deed, especially if separated or a divorce petition were pending.
So, while it is legal, in execution you may run into some hurdles, without a court order or final decree.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you it would be easier, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.I am happy to continue if you have further questions.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.