Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex closed child support case in Maryland ion 2016. I have…

Customer Question
My ex closed child...

My ex closed child support case in Maryland ion 2016. I have since moved to Florida and she now wishes to be vengeful and reopen the case. Can they do this without my knowledge or being served here in Florida? Who will have jurisdiction?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your ex taken? Has she filed any papers in MD family court?

I’m unsure. She just called and said she placing me back on child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I don’t believe so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’ve since gotten remarried and my wife had five kids. And we had one together in 2017. I can’t afford the same payments. Will she be able to get the same amount?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, child support is something mandated by state laws. If you are not paying child support, then she is entitled to pursue you to collect it. If you are living in FL, then FL child support enforcement has personal jurisdiction over you and may set the support amount you are do which will be based on your income and her income. Thus, it would be in your best interests to supply FL with your income information, because if you do not they will set support based on income they impute to you which can be much higher than it should be.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I pay child support to her just not through the courts. We agreed on an amount and it been ok and I guess it’s not. I just want to know can this happen with out me knowing or being served here in Florida. And will my current situation be taken into consideration.

Thank you for your reply.

They have to serve you in FL and if they do, then you need to prove what you are paying her in support to them and FL can dismiss the case. I am afraid the fact you have remarried and have another child is not grounds under the law to reduce your support to the other child.