Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-husband and I have a shared parenting agreement. I am…

Customer Question
My ex-husband and I...

My ex-husband and I have a shared parenting agreement. I am the legal custodial guardian of our 5 yo. The Oder was based on him living in Ohio, this never happened. In the last 5 years my ex shows up one weekend a year to see our son. My question is can I have the ordered changed to reflect this alloyed time? Per the agreement my ex is to have 4 hours with my son on his birthday, he hasn’t spent a birth day with him in four years. He repeatedly misses his Sunday phone calls (he designated that day) in fact he hasn’t called in a month. My son is also being tested for autism and I’m worried the lack of involvement on his fathers part could result in a total melt down she he ever be forced to leave the state to see his dad.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Ohio family court?

No I’ve been holding off. Child support would also need to be re-evaluated as he hasn’t had to share in school fees over the last 5 years. I was pregnant when we filed for divorce and my son wasn’t attending childcare at the time of the final hearing

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m gathering information at this point

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear that the parent is not exercising visitation.Yes a party may motion the court for a modification whenever the order does not reflect the status quo. Normally the court will revise the order so it reflects the actual arrangement.
The court will want to verify the arrangements are in the child's best interest and may sanction the parent that violated the court order, for example by ordering them to pay legal fees incurred as a result of having to modify the order due to non compliance.
This explains the process alomg with providing the required formshttps://fclawlib.libguides.com/childcustody/modifyingcustodyNormally a change in custody is accompanied by a request for modification of child support.Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively if you feel I have earned it!

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.