Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I filed a return that a dependent's SSN on that return has…

I filed a return that...
I filed a return that a dependent's SSN on that return has already been used. It is a divorced woman that the child lives with her and the husband claimed the daughter on his return already. I have proof that the child lived with the mother. How can I fix this?
3/27/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

I need some additional information to help answer your question. Are the parents divorced? If so, do they have a settlement agreement stating who claims the child on their tax return?

I don't know if they are legally divorced. What are the options of both?
talk is fine
email me the results, thank you***@******.***

Ok, so if there is a settlement agreement, then that is the legal document the IRS is going to look to for who is allowed to report the child on their return. If there is no settlement agreement, then when both parents claim the exemption, the IRS will usually allow the exemption for the parent that the child lived with the most during the year.

ok, the child lives with the mother

If one parent erroneously claims th child as a dependent, the Internal Revenue Code allows you to amend your tax return within three years of filing the original or within two years of paying the relevant tax, whichever is later.

Was this information helpful?

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

Jessica B