Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was just wondering My wife was put up for adoption 60

Customer Question
I was just wondering...

I was just wondering My wife was put up for adoption 60 years ago. Her Biological mother had children that were not put up for adoption. She remarried

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No What I was wondering the mother passed does my wife have any legal right to the mothers estate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just wanted to know. Ten years ago my wife wanted to reconnect to her biological mother. The mother did not want to because the whole adoption was done secretly from the family. My wife ended up talking to her half sister and she was very happy to meet up for coffee. They are local in NY as well. A few weeks have gone by and the half liter didn't answer her texts and blocked her we do not know the reason but I am guessing the brother got involved and said leave it alone and said that my wife was looking for money. Which is not true she just wanted connect to them thats all.I have been pissed ever since my wife has been heart broken. So this is why I am asking you if she has any legal rights. This is very awkward for us. We do not do this sort of thing but I want to find out thats all.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 29 days ago
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am reviewing your question & will be with you shortly.

Where a parent gives up a child for adoption, New York Domestic Relations Law 117(b) provides, generally, that after an adoption is complete the adoptive child loses his rights of inheritance from his birth parents. Thus, except in certain specific instances, the adoptive child no longer will have any statutory inheritance rights with regard to the family of the biological parents.

Here is a link to the full law. I was unable to locate an exception to the rule that would apply to your wife. See subdivision (e) for the exceptions.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/domestic-relations/DOM0117_117.html

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you. Have a good holiday

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 25 days ago

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney