Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My exhusband is still living and I need to know if I can…

My exhusband is still...

My exhusband is still living and I need to know if I can file for benefits on his social security. We were married 14 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your ex-husband in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your ex-husband taken so far?

He is retired, collects social security and work benefit and is gravely ill

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I read where you can file even if the person is not deceased and don't have to contact that person

3/27/2018
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Since you were married more than 10 years, you are probably eligible to receive your ex's level of Social Security ("SS") benefits if it's more than your own.

Here is the SS site providing information about survivor benefits. See p. 3 for "Benefits for surviving divorced spouses."

After you read this booklet, please let me know if you have other questions.

Sue

my question was not answered. he is not deceased

The ex-husband doesn't have to be deceased for you to receive his social security benefit amount if it's higher than yours.

Did you find the booklet helpful?

If not, here's another Social Security site that addresses former spousal benefits.

Please let me know if that answers your question to your satisfaction.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Thank you for accepting my answer.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Sue