Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I've been separated from my husband for 5 months. We are…

Customer Question
I've been separated from...

I've been separated from my husband for 5 months. We are currently on friendly terms. I want to know if I give him our house if I could get my pension and any investments I have made.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not as of yet. He says he wants me back. There is no chance of me going back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

As long as both you and your husband agree to him receiving the house and you keeping your pension and investments then that is allowed. You need to codify it in a written agreement that is submitted to the court. It will become part of your final divorce decree that the judge signs.

If we don't get a divorce is he still entitled to my pension and investments
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago

Yes. In Maryland, you and your husband may enter into a Separation Agreement. In Maryland, a husband and wife may make a valid and enforceable agreement that relates to alimony, support, property rights, or personal rights. Provisions regarding custody and visitation, child support, alimony, debts, pets, cars, household furnishings, health insurance, life insurance, retirement and survivor benefits, business interests, bank accounts and investments, and attorney fees may also be included in a separation agreement.

Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago

I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!