Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is living with his fiancée. They have three children…

Customer Question
My son is living...

My son is living with his fiancée. They have three children together. She is always playing the kids against him saying that she’ll leave. So she was texting me complains about him and I took his side. She did some name calling and said that I am no longer allowed to see my grand children. They live in channahon and I live in dyer Indiana. Up until now I travelled twice.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken? Have they filed any papers in Indiana family court?

No he is just trying to walk on egg shells around her. She really isn’t the most stable. She picks someone out to threatened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No. He is hoping she’ll calm dowm

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Whar are my options.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for your patience on this. The problem here unfortunately is that as a grandparent, you don't have any rights to the kids. It's not out of the ordinary for adults to try to arrange for custody of children. To do this, you are going to need to get guardianship over the child through the courts. If you are looking to have legal rights over the child, then you must go through your state's court system. It typically starts with filing a petition, which is just a request through the courts to remove the rights of at least one of the parents in favor of you. Once you fill out the petition, you should make three copies: one to you, one for the court, and one to the other parties (typically the parents). It is critical to understand that the courts are bound to look at what is in the best interests of the child above all else. This means they will look into who and how the child’s health, education, welfare, and safety are best going to be served. Sometimes, this can be inconvenient for the petitioner, but because the kids cannot protect themselves, the court takes it upon itself to protect them. The bright side is that if you understand this in advance, then you will have an edge when you are dealing with the other side because you’ll be seeing this process through the court’s eyes.

Regardless, once you have filed the documents, someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case will serve the document on the other party. They will have a chance to respond to the petition and they will serve you as well. The court will likely set a date where they will either order mediation or they will make a decision at that time. If you can’t agree at mediation or if the court decides it needs more info, then it is likely you would go to a trial where you can put on witnesses, provide your own testimony, and let the judge make a ruling after that. Those are less likely scenarios, but they come up on occasion.

The order is enforceable from the moment it is entered and if a party fails to abide by the order, then they are going to be held in contempt of court.

How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer