Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

It is clear that my son has had some contact with his

Customer Question
Hi it is clear...

Hi it is clear that my son has had some sexual contact with his younger sister. I am trying to help my daughter and also determine how much trouble my son will be in. We have his interview with local police this week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges yet. This interview is just part of the investigation.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My daughter is 12 and my son is 14. My daughter is also autistic.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You should NOT let your son talk to the police unless he does so with a lawyer. He is under no obligation to give evidence against himself. What he doesn't tell the police can never be used against him. If he gives up his Constitutional right to remain silent because you mistakenly think that's what he ought to do, anything he tells them can not only be used against him in court but can hamstring his lawyer's efforts to get him the most favorable outcome possible under the facts and circumstances of his case.

This is incest, it's sexual abuse of some sort, and it can not only be transferred to adult court if the prosecutor thinks it belongs there but he can wind up a registered sex offender.

When I say this, I am not condoning what he may have done. I am simply letting you know that he has important rights. I doubt that you will find any criminal defense attorney who will tell you to let your son be interviewed by the police when he's a suspect in a criminal investigation for something like this. But if they do, they would insist on being there with him.

Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 25 days ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer