Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Louisiana. I was married in Oklahoma when I lived…

Hello, I live in...

Hello, I live in Louisiana. I was married in Oklahoma when I lived there at the time. Me and my wife are currently in Pennsylvania where I'm working. We are separating and I would like to file for a divorce. Can I get a lawyer to take care of this where I am,or would I have get one in my home state or from the state I was married in?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I haven't done any paperwork at this time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Pennsylvania

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

How long have you and your wife been residents of PA? Are you planning on staying through the divorce? Will your spouse cooperate?

Loren, Lawyer
We have been here since October of last year. We are not PA residents. We are here because I'm working here.I travel with my line of work.
Phone call session started
I'm not sure how cooperative she will be.
I think she will be, but I'm not sure what she is going to request besides what I have already given her.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.