Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter lives in Texas and needs to divorce her husband…

Customer Question
My daughter lives in...

My daughter lives in Texas and needs to divorce her husband and he is threatening to take her children from her because she can’t support them on her own. His family lives in the same town and she has no family there.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in TX family court?

Nothing yet. She wasn’t sure where to start.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, she can not afford a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure what else to ask except where to start and keep him from taking children.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear your daughter is having to deal with this particularly with young children.

Here are the forms, along with instructions, for filing for divorce

Basically either party may request temporary orders re: custody of the children and the court will typically provide that the primary caregiving parent retain custody until the court can effectively evaluate the best interests of the children.

Here are the relevant statutes:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.153.htm

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

Husband came into house and packed up crib and clothes and took kids. Is there anything she can do?
No form of divorce or child writes as of yet. can he do that. What can she do, call police etc. can they say abondment?