Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have received a summons from my ex wife regarding a

Customer Question
I have received a...

I have received a summons from my ex wife regarding a stepparent adoption for my twin, now 7 1/2 years old. Although it is not what I want to do I feel forced because I am soo far behind in child support I will never catch up. My question is: Is it true that if I consent that I am no longer responsible for child support. The last thing I want to do is to make the heart wrenching decision to agree but still owe child support.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No; I have been just staring at these papers and now I only have until Friday to respond to the summons. I live in Florida if law is different in diff states

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No.. I have no money and I have been turned down by three legal aid offices who said they could help if i was the step father wanting to adopt but they can not help me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The paperwork I have received; my ex wife's affidavit states under Knowledge of prior child support proceedings that child support is to be paid by the father.. Is this just because that was the decision from the divorce? Also she states that she does not know of any person that has any claims to have visitation.. what about my mom or their grandmother? Does this mean that she will never have rights to them

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

By chance, have you been to court to modify the child support payments due to economic hardship or a change of circumstances?

Ely, Counselor at Law