Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was divorced 5 years ago. Everything has changed now and I…

I was divorced 5...

I was divorced 5 years ago. Everything has changed now and I need to have it all corrected from tax returns to visitation and child support. Since we have joint custody and are 3.5 hrs away from each other where should I seek an attorney? We had our divorce where he resides but our son resides with me and goes to achool where i am. I need to know what county to seek legal help in.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have done nothing since our initial divorce and no attorneys were involved then.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need alot of things to be laid out in legal writing to stop the arguing. . . Visitation, child support, need myself to be listed as main guardian as well.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Since you've been relocated and your son resides with you, you can actually petition the court for venue to be relocated to the county in which you and your son currently reside.

As long as you've been living there for at least 6 months, there shouldn't be any difficulty getting a relocation of venue request approved.

Since there are several matters that you need revisited, there will be several motions that need to be filed on your behalf, and multiple hearing dates, so it's good that you've already decided to hire a lawyer as oppose to self-representation. Your attorney can help draft all motions on your behalf, and can appear alongside you in court to make all of the necessary legal arguments on your behalf.

You can contact the Tennessee State Bar and ask for a referral to a custody lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(615)(###) ###-####

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you so much!!!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones