Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have joint custody with her being the primary care taker…

Customer Question
I have joint custody...

I have joint custody with her being the primary care taker of my daughter and son but over the last 6 months I have had my son due to issues where his mom lives what is my chance of getting custody

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I'm afraid if I do she will take him back even though his grades have come up and is doing well

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I do file and she takes him back I'm afraid his grades will drop and lots of other things

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
If you can show living with you is better than with her and that she is not able to care and provide and give the necessary time you have a good claim for it!
Child best interests are main factor including education and general wellbeing.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can you elaborate on better with me are you saying better grades? Because financial I have no way to prove. He has better grades in school and she is not a bad mom but I'm definitely stricter and he is happy in both places but wants to stay with me and he is 13
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 27 days ago

If he would do better in school, including grades, happiness, concentration, that is a relevant factor. Normally if both parents are doing fine, with different methods, the court will maintain joint custody to ensure good relations with both. If one parent poses risk of harm or similar negative impact, then sole custody becomes more appropriate

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Ely, Counselor at Law