Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My granddaughters parents were never married, no longer live…

My granddaughters parents were...

My granddaughters parents were never married, no longer live together, and she now has sole custody because of a big mistake my son made.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Just this morning we went to an preliminary hearing, and I thought we could talk. but all that happened is that the mother refuses to give us visitation, and said we we have to get a lawyer. I don't know how to choose one, what to look for. My son is 100 percent agreeable with our wants. The mother refused mediation, which is what I was hoping for. This court thing is so out of my comfort level.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure what to tell you. the whole problem is because she has always disliked me, and unfortunately uses Emma as a tool to hurt me. So it is really an emotional, controlling game with her. So I do not quite understand when you say connect me with a lawyer. Do you make suggestions of lawyers in m area, which is Binghamton, NY? Do you have a list of professionals that specialize in Grandparents rights?

3/26/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Fortunately the state of New York is one of the states that recognizes a grandparent's rights to request visitation.

Under NY state law you have a legal right to request visitation if:

• one or both parents die
  • you have a substantial existing relationship with your grandchild
  • the child's parents have interfered with your efforts to establish or maintain a relationship with your grandchild

You will need to file a Request for Grandparent Visitation with the county court where this case is being heard.

JustAnswer provides general legal information only, and in accordance with site policy none of the attorneys here can personally represent you, but I can let you know how to get in touch with custody lawyer in New York.

You just need to contact the New York State Bar and let them know you would like a referral to a custody lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** call them now. I did not know which way to go

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones