Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going to retire and since my income will drop a great…

I am going to...

I am going to retire and since my income will drop a great deal I want to have my spousal support payments terminated.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

The paper are drawn up but if my ex-wife is abroad can these papers be served to her lawyer or what recourse to i have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in BC

3/26/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You would need to file a motion to modify due to change in finances.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
let me try this again
This is simply about how to serve a person with legal papers if she is out of the country and I have no idea where she is
You can use last known address.
I have her address - what happens when she is not there to sign for receipt of the documents?
Does that mean the process is delayed - what is my recourse?
Receipt not required. Just affidavit of service at last known addressPlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
okay - just to be clear this affidavit of service serves in lieu of her signature of receipt?
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer