Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband wants a divorce. I do not. Is there any way to…

My husband wants a...

My husband wants a divorce. I do not. Is there any way to force him to go to counseling for ptsd and/or porn addiction before I agree to a divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

He got a free consult. No papers filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Georgia

3/26/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you

Good morning. I am sorry to say but there is not. This is a civil matter, not criminal, so a Judge can not just force or order him to do so. Ideally, he would want to try and save the marriage to work with you, to move on and prevent the divorce but if he wants a divorce, he can proceed, over your objection. It is possible to try and work with him on this and ask that he voluntarily do so, to see if it will help and you may even want to work out an agreement, whereby you will not necessarily contest this and try and be civil, in the divorce process, if he makes a good faith effort to get help.

Ok thank you for that info. That is a good idea

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer