Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I recently moved to Tennessee with my children and husband.

Hello. I recently moved...

Hello. I recently moved to Tennessee with my children and husband. He constantly threatens me about money, with divorce, taking my children, films me and says it evidence, talks poorly about me to my children and ridicules me to the point where I shake.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TN family court?

I’m on the verge of tears every second.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

How can I proceed? What do I need to get him away from us? I

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Contacted my former helpers and a few housekeepers who are willing to testify on my behalf.

3/26/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

I haven’t contacted a lawyer. I’m afraid. And money is an issue. I have 4 young boys and I am on the tightest budget with them unfortunately. I have nothing.
Thank you.
You still there?

Yes, just one moment please, thanks for your patience while I finish typing.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you feel that you are at harm's risk in any way, if your husband has every been physically violent, or if he is making threats of violence, or if he is otherwise emotionally or psychologically abusive and you are afraid to be near him -- then you can and should petition for an emergency protective injunction.

You would need to go into the Clerk of Courts office at your local courthouse, and you can obtain the necessary forms there.

If you are interested in filing for divorce and/or custody then you should also consider hiring a family lawyer to represent you.

Your lawyer can file all of the necessary motions on your behalf and can make sure that your monetary interests are protected as well.

Many attorneys will accept payment in some form of a payment plan and there are sometimes pro bono attorneys available who can take your case for free.

You can contact the Tennessee State Bar for a referral to a family lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(615)(###) ###-####/strong>

Be sure to ask about the availability of a pro bono lawyer as well.

While your divorce is pending, you can also request temporary alimony which would help financially until a final divorce settlement was reached.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you so so very much!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones