Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Iowa and I am in a same sex marriage. Will my

Customer Question
I live in Iowa...

I live in Iowa and I am in a same sex marriage. Will my Social Securiy Benifity change in amount

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in IA family court?

We have gone the normal route of obtaining Marriage licence. which is filed in county recordes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No only to obtan wills and power of att.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can t think of any. just recived this years SS information

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is possibly, but it depends almost entirely on the income of your partner, regardless of their gender. According to the Social Security Administration, if you marry, your spouse's income and resources may change your SSI benefit. If they are getting SSI currently, then your rate will go from an individual rate to a couple's rate. I can't tell you for sure what that would be because only SSA could tell you what that would be and it's based on your income.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?