Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a cps welfare visit tomorrow. What are my rights and…

Customer Question
I have a cps...

I have a cps welfare visit tomorrow. What are my rights and what do should I prepare for?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I am getting a lawyer tuesday her dad got emergency custody and protection order for my bf

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Please connect

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am looking for immediate helo
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am by my phone for advice by phone
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I missed my other question with tbe lawyer i dont want to miss this. It was within minutes. Please call(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Review Legal Documents + Legal Research on Case Law, Codes, etc.. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
During the initial investigation by CPS:

You do not have the right to stop or prevent a CPS investigation. CPS has the right to contact your child and interview them outside your presence. Social workers are instructed to ask children if they would like another supportive adult in the room while they are interviewed, and your child has a right to request this. CPS investigators are instructed to grant these requests unless they think doing so would impede the investigation

You (and any other legal parent of your child) have the right to know that CPS has investigated an allegation of child abuse or neglect, but not who made the allegation. CPS may delay telling you or the other parent about the investigation if they think that notification will negatively impact the investigation.

Early in the process, the CPS worker will interview you and others to assess your family’s situation and come to an understanding of your child’s safety. You have the right to talk to the social worker privately: separate from your children, your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/any other relatives, and any other adults in the house. Social workers are instructed to conduct private interviews with all members of a family, particularly when DV is identified

The CPS investigator has the obligation to provide you with a strengths-based family assessment. This means the social worker should find out what is going well in your family and the ways that you are a good parent, as well as any challenges.

You have the right to hire an attorney at any point in the process (at your own cost). If CA seeks to remove your child from your care, a public defense attorney will be assigned to you (if you qualify for this service); but you can hire an attorney before that happens. You can also choose not to use a public defender and instead hire your own attorney at your own expense.

When you are asked about abuse or domestic violence:

You have the right to decide whether or not to talk about abuse in your relationship. CA policy instructs social workers to ask you, your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend, your children, and any other caregivers about conflict in your family and violence or threats between adults in the household.

Be aware that CPS investigators and social workers have access to police records, Protection Order filings, criminal histories, 911 calls, and past CPS referrals, so they may have information about abuse even if you don’t tell them. Interviews with friends, family, teachers, or neighbors may also raise concerns about domestic violence.

Social workers are instructed to try to understand how abuse by an intimate partner towards a parent might affect your family overall. Even if they don’t ask, you can tell a CPS investigator about physical or emotional abuse in your relationship and how that has impacted you and the safety of your children, and what you have done to protect and support your children. You can ask for help with addressing a partner’s abuse and its impact on you and your children.

Recognizing safety risks to yourself and your child, understanding the way DV affects your child, and knowing when to ask for help may be seen as strengths by the social worker.

You can find a domestic violence advocate by calling Washington State’s domestic violence hotline at(###) ###-####

As the investigation proceeds:

If the CPS investigator determines your child is in danger of abuse or neglect, you have a right to know the specifically what the CPS investigator is concerned about.

CPS investigators want to find out about "safety threats". The CPS investigator may be concerned about domestic violence that threatens the safety of children. However, not all abusive behavior towards an intimate partner threatens children’s safety, so you have a right to know how the investigator thinks the domestic violence affects your child’s safety or well-being. (Some examples might be that the children get in the middle of conflicts, the abuser uses weapons, or the child is showing signs of emotional distress in response to the abuse.)

Keep in mind that the CPS investigator may be concerned about something other than the domestic violence; for example, lack of supervision of the children or lack of proper medical care.

Planning to keep yourself and your children safe from abuse:

If any safety threat is present, CPS investigators/social workers must complete a "safety assessment." If the CPS worker determines your child is unsafe or if impending danger exists, their policies require them to create a safety plan with you for the children. A CA safety plan looks at each circumstance causing your children to be unsafe, and maps out a plan to address those concerns.

DSHS/CA policy instructs social workers to work collaboratively with the parent to create a plan to keep your children safe at home with you if at all possible.

You have a right for the safety plan to be well thought-out, doable, and reasonable.

A safety plan may involve getting the help of friends and family members to help build your and your children’s safety; it will include specific roles and tasks for these supportive people. For example, a friend may agree to have your children at her house over the weekend, when your abuser is home.

You can ask for support services to make it possible to enact the safety plan, including assistance with transportation, daycare, and housing.

CPS social workers may suggest you file for a Domestic Violence Protection Order if you are experiencing abuse from your intimate partner. You have the right to decline to file a protective order if you think it will endanger you and/or your children.

When you know a protection order is not a good option for you, you will need to work with the social worker to identify other ways to address the social worker’s concerns about your children’s safety.

If you do decide to file for a DV Protection Order, you can ask your social worker for support and assistance. DSHS/CA policy allows social workers to appear in court, write a letter to the judge stating concerns regarding the children, and make a recommendation about whether or not the child would be safe in unsupervised visits with the domestic violence abuser. A domestic violence advocate can also support you in the protection order process.

If removing your child from your care seems likely:

If the social worker does not think your children can be safe with you, you have a right to know exactly what safety concerns the worker thinks you cannot address.

A social worker cannot make the decision to remove a child from your home by themselves. By law, they must have a voluntary placement agreement signed by you, OR a court order, OR law enforcement must agree the child needs immediate protection.

If a social worker thinks your child must be out of your care to be safe, then they will start looking for other options for where the child could live and stay safe. Because accidents and problems may come up in anyone’s life, every parent should think about who could take care of their child if they are unable to care for them. If you have given this some thought, you have a right to suggest the friends or family members who might be able to take care of your child while you work to address DSHS/CA’s concerns about their safety with you.

The social worker may not agree with you about the best place for your children. DSHS/CA must run background checks on any person who might have a child removed from their home, any person who plans to help with a CA safety plan, and any person who will take a child into their home to keep them safe. Some criminal convictions make a person ineligible to have a child placed with them. Convictions for misdemeanors usually will not prevent DSHS from placing a child with someone who otherwise seems to be safe and supportive for the child.

Voluntary Agreements:

A Voluntary Placement Agreement is when the parent and social worker agree the child would be better off in the state’s care temporarily. Voluntary Placement Agreements are meant to be short, and do not require a court order. As the name implies, they are voluntary. You have the right to revoke your agreement to a voluntary placement at any time by notifying DSHS/CA in writing that you are doing so. DSHS/CA then has 48 hours to return your child or to get a court order to keep your child placement.

When your child has been removed from your care:

You have the right to notice in writing regarding the placement of your child. You should receive a copy of the court order, the voluntary placement agreement, or police documentation of the need for protective custody.

You have a right to inform the social worker of your child’s special needs and interests if they are removed from your care. This includes any medical issues, allergies, religious observations, dietary needs or habits, special rituals such as a bedtime story, or anything else that would make being away from you easier for your child.

You have a right to know your children are safe and being cared for. If they are placed in foster care, you have a right to a visit with them. Social workers must make efforts to arrange a visit within 72 hours of your children’s placement .

About Family Team Decision Making Meetings:

If your child is removed from your care, a "Family Team Decision Making" (FTDM) meeting may be held to involve your friends, family, and supportive people in figuring out how to keep your children safe, and where they should live until you are able to have them back in your care. You have a right to ask for a FTDM meeting, but your social worker has decision-making power.

The intent of FTDMs is to provide a safe and supportive context for thinking about your child’s well-being and safety. You have a right to tell your social worker who you would like to have at the meeting. You can invite friends, family, an advocate, a counselor you trust, a teacher, or anyone else who you think would be helpful. You also have a right to exclude people from the meeting if you feel their attendance is not in the best interests of your child. (CA social workers cannot be excluded.)

You have a right express your concerns about your physical and emotional safety from the abuser before, during, and after an FTDM to your social worker or the FTDM facilitator. A Family Team Decision Making meeting (FTDM) may include you, your social worker, the child’s grandparents or other relatives, your counselor, experts from the community, and friends, family or other supportive people you may want to invite.

You have a right to tell your worker who might be helpful and supportive to you and have them invited to the FTDM.

If you have a protective order, the abuser will not be allowed to attend the FTDM either in person by telephone. In this case, if the abuser is a parent of your child, a separate FTDM will be offered.

If you do not have a protective order, but would prefer the other parent of your child not be present, you can talk to your social worker about this. You can request a separate meeting; but this request may not be granted. If you feel scared or intimidated during the FTDM, you can tell the FTDM facilitator about your concerns.

You have the right to know exactly what must happen in order make your living situation safe enough to be reunited with your child. The steps you need to take should be clearly explained in your case plan. DSHS/CA instructs social workers to make case plans "focused, time limited, behaviorally specific, attainable, relevant, and understandable". Case plans should also be tied directly to identified safety threats.

You have the right to ask for assistance to address safety threats. If your children have been removed from your care, or you have signed a voluntary services agreement, you will be eligible for services to help address safety threats. These can include mental health, substance abuse, housing, child care, and other services.

When domestic violence is an issue:

If the children have been hurt because of domestic violence committed against you, you have the right to be seen as a victim of a crime, and not be blamed for being a victim. DCFS social workers are directed by their policy and by their practice guidelines to place "responsibility for child maltreatment as a result of DV … on the DV perpetrator, not the DV victim". If domestic violence is the reason your child is being taken out of your care, you have the right to services that will "alleviate the effects of DV" in order to make it safe for your child to come home. For example, DSHS might pay for you to get counseling if you need help recovering from trauma, or pay to have your locks changed if this will make your home safer from the abuser

You have the right to tell your social worker what you think would increase your safety, your ability to protect your children from harm, and your capacity to parent effectively. You also have the right to tell your social worker if a plan is not working for you or compromises your safety.

You may have different ideas than your social worker about what would be helpful. A domestic violence advocate or an attorney may be helpful in talking with your social worker.

You have a right to refuse "voluntary services." However, it may be more effective to negotiate to voluntarily receive services that will be helpful to you and your child.

You have the right to ask that your address be held confidential if you think having your partner or the child’s biological parent obtain that address may compromise your safety. If your partner or the child’s biological parent is entitled to visitation, your can ask your social worker to develop a plan for exchanging the child that will be safe for all of you.

Reasonable Efforts

"Reasonable efforts" is a legal term, and refers to the level of effort DSHS/CA must make to keep your children in your home or make it possible to return them to your home.

You have a right to have your social worker make "reasonable efforts to prevent or eliminate the need for removal of your child." This right is protected by Federal and State law.

Regarding domestic violence, Washington defines these "reasonable efforts" to include:

• repeated screening for domestic violence

• thoroughly assessing domestic violence

• efforts by your social worker and DSHS/CA to increase child safety by increasing your safety

• holding the perpetrator accountable for the domestic violence.

DSHS policy instructs social workers to make an effort to identify who is the victim and who is the perpetrator of an ongoing pattern of domestic abuse that results in coercive control

The determination of the victim/perpetrator in a relationship should take into account emotional abuse, sexual abuse, economic abuse, isolation, and other controlling behaviors, not just individual acts of physical violence

You have the right to expect DSHS/CA will create a case plan that will hold the parent or caregiver who is a domestic violence perpetrator accountable. This may include requiring attendance at a state-certified domestic violence perpetrator treatment program. Social workers are instructed to avoid referring domestic violence perpetrators to anger management courses, as these do not help with intimate partner abuse .

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so costs you nothing extra. Experts are independent contractors and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

If you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, please accept the answer, and provide a rating (5 stars would be appreciated). It cost you nothing additionally to do so. The experts who answer your questions are independent contractors, and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for our responses. Thanks, ***** ***** hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer