Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Maryland Family Law Question: My ex-spouse and I have

Maryland Family Law Question:My ex-spouse...
Maryland Family Law Question:My ex-spouse and I have contentious custody battle the past six years. 18 months ago, we signed a consent order to have 50/50 physical custody of the our two teens. The language of 50/50 physical was overlooked in the consent order. Both parties have stated in court several times the custody the agreement is 50/50 and the Court based the child support on 50/50 arrangement. Seven months the teens the 50/50 worked well. The past 11 months, the mother has denied the daughter to visit me (father) because I took away the daughter's cell phone. I have filed a Show and Cause order for denial of visitation. The mother (Plaintiff) is arguing that the consent order does not implicitly state 50/50 that either of the kids have to visit. I have researched previous cases and found verbal/oral agreements are legal enforceable. My question would a verbal custody arrangement be enforceable and would a Show Cause order be helpful with a contempt of court?
3/26/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

Did the Consent Order state that both parents would have 50/50 physical custody of the twins?

If so, what is the language that was overlooked?

Kindly clarify.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The consent order is without the language of 50/50 visitation. The judge calculated the child support based on 50/50 shared custody. The 50/50 was discussed in court and the judge asked if we wanted 50/50. Both parties verbally agreed to a 50/50.Thank you

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

The mother (Plaintiff) is arguing that the consent order does not implicitly state 50/50 that either of the kids have to visit.

Response 1: I disagree. 50/50 also means 50/50 visitation. It is not necessary to also state 50/50 visitation when both parties have 50/50 physical custody.

I have researched previous cases and found verbal/oral agreements are legal enforceable. My question would a verbal custody arrangement be enforceable and would a Show Cause order be helpful with a contempt of court?

Response 2: Yes and Yes especially since the agreement was made in open Court.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law