Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How can cps take my grandbaby from hospital cause my

Customer Question
daughter has an extra chromosome...
How can cps take my grandbaby from hospital cause my daughter has an extra chromosome
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 29 days ago
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the expert that will be answering your questions. I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist.

Certainly that fact alone could never justify the removal of a child. They would have to allege additional facts related to your daughter's fitness to care for the child. Have you seen any of the Court paperwork?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Court is not until tomorrow morning so we have not been given any paperwork or explanation as to why they taking him other then the extra chromosome factor how can we get legal help in court or what should we do in court tomorrow

Your daughtewr MUST

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My daughter must what

Your daughter MUST appear in Court tomorrow. She will be able to see the paperwork then.

If she cannot afford a lawyer, she should apply for a Court Appointed Lawyer. She will be given the right to fight the allegations that CPS makes. But what you mention is not enough.

In the meantime, if you are able to care for the child, you should let CPS know that you want to be considered for placement.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
how can we fight them if the only thing they have against her is the chromosome thing if you say that is not enough to taken him away.? May i contact you tomorrow after we hear the allegations they have in court

I doubt that will be all that is listed on the paperwork. Her attorney will have to disprove any other allegations. If that is the only one, he or she should argue that it is not enough and unconstitutional.

Sure, you can respond again tomorrow.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney