Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has sole legal and physical custody of his daughter…

My son has sole...

My son has sole legal and physical custody of his daughter who is 1. He has all decision making rights. The mother gets supervised visitation once a week which half the time doesn't show up for. He is planning on moving about 50 miles away but still plans on keeping the visitation the same nothing will change. Does he need to do anything legally? We are in colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in CO family court?

No steps have been taken yet and no papers have been filed in this matter

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

3/26/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. I am sorry for the delay. It takes some time to prepare a complete answer. Please note the phone call requests are generated automatically from the system. I do not control them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If he is moving in such a way that would hinder the visitation there are things he must do. In the situation you describe it may not be necessary to do these things but he may want to anyway just to prevent a false claim against him.

When there is a significant change in the geographical ties locattion that may affect the existing parenting plan the parent seeking relocation must provide the other with:

1. Written notice of the intent to relocate,
  2. The location where the party intends to reside,
  3. The reason for the relocation, and
  4. A proposed revised parenting plan.

Here is a link to the law.

http://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-14-domestic-matters/co-rev-st-sect-14-10-129.html

In your son's case it will not hurt him to send his ex that notice.

As to number 4 he will state "No Change to existing visitation."

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer