Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has…

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has been in and out of mental health facilities for 9 plus years. Each time we go through the process of not being able to help because of her age. I want to start the process for guardianship as the situation does not seem to be getting any better anytime soon.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

I requested guardianship through the probate court

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to go forward with the guardianship and getting her the assistance that she has not been getting

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you clarify?

You stated that you want to "go forward with guardianship" and has requested for one. So, what do you need assistance with at this time?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Do I need a lawyer to help with the disability process and legal documentation to get her accepted as my dependant again

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Do I need a lawyer to help with the disability process

Response 1: You do not have to. You can start the application process yourself. However, if you are not able to, then you can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle disability issues to assist you with the application:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

and legal documentation to get her accepted as my dependant again

Response 2: You have already started the process by petitioning for Guardianship. If your Petition is granted, she would become your legal dependent again.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.