Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am wanting to pourc, i live in Va but the question is

Customer Question
Good afternoon. I...

Good afternoon. I am wanting to pourc

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Va but the question is relative to SC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I want to purchase a firearm in Va

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a unlawful neglect charge from 1996...2yr suspended sentence and hsve been off probation since 1998.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Is the charge a felony charge? Are you saying that the SC never entered your conviction into the record because you successfully completed probation? Did you have to plead guilty or no contest to the charge in order to get the suspended sentence?

im thinking ues it was considered a felony at that time. It is on my record but well over 20 yrs ago, I was given a 2yr sentence suspended and spent all of that on probation.

Yes. It could have had a penalty of more than a year, so I agree this was a felony.

Nevertheless, if the conviction was suspended after you successfully completed your probation, it should not count as a conviction under South Carolina law. That would mean you should still have your civil rights, including your gun rights.

However, the question is whether the Federal government will accept the suspended sentence as a non-conviction. They should, but they may not. If not, you're going to need a pardon from the state of South Carolina to restore your 2nd Amendment rights and let you have a gun in Virginia.

Information on a pardon in South Carolina is here below. No lawyer is required for a pardon:

https://www.dppps.sc.gov/Parole-Pardon-Hearings/Pardon-Application No lawyer is required.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.