Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What would I have to do to be legally entitled to receive…

What would I have to...
What would I have to do to be legally entitled to receive information about my disabled brother?My parents had a really bad divorce. Ever since they separated, I basically cut off all contact with my mother. My brother is severely autistic and currently institutionalized somewhere in a residential facility. My mother is his sole legal guardian. A few years ago when she was applying to become his legal guardian, I received paperwork from the Orphan's court of a nearby county about it.The relationship between my mother and I is hostile and I haven't spoken to her in years. What would I have to do to be legally entitled to have information about him? I don't want to get custody of him, since he requires specialized care that I'm unable to provide. But just people able to visit him every now and then and get updates on him would be nice.
3/25/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to receive information about him, you would have to go through his sole guardian or else you would have to challenge her guardianship in court and seek guardianship on your own, but you have to prove she is not fit to continue as guardian to do so. If you cannot prove she is unfit to be the guardian, then you would not be able to get the information because you would not be able to get the guardianship changed I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Can 2 people simultaneously be legal guardians or just only one?

Thank you for your reply.

You can be a co-guardian, but that would require you demonstrate to the court that you can work with the other guardian for the best interests of your brother.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer