Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I originally signed a prenup with my husband twenty years…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I originally...

Second opinion] I originally signed a prenup with my husband twenty years ago house is in my name money came from family through the years i gave him usiflex of house because we now have two children together and 10% ownership so my oldest daughters couldnt throw him out we both have separate accounts and credit my account has never had his name on it but he put mine on his so incase something happened to him i dont write my bills or teposibilities out of that account, We recently four years ago bought a house togethet using mine as collateral but my house has never sold to pay off and he pays the note could i loose my house incase of a divorce we have a 18 year old going to college and a 8 year old whom still resides with us. He has been real pushy about me changing things in a will in which i will not due the 20 year marriage has been alot ups and doens due to his familly nit liking me and problems with step children we originally planned to sell my house pay of other house that is both our names but intuition telling me something else i am a teacher of 16 yrs and all i have left is what is in my house he is a police captain and has been a policeman for 33 years so u can understand what im dealing with! Just need sime answers really dont want a divorce but need to know worst scenerio because im still raising a child thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Think that is it

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Does my info go public on related questions
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
In the LA supreme court case Acurio v Acurio the court determined that prenuptial agreements can be binding so long as there is full disclosure of assets, the agreement is not unconscionable and the contract was properly executed.This explains the court's policy considerations towards prenuptial agreements:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://digitalcommons.law.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D4400%26context%3Dlalrev&ved=2ahUKEwjPjezmiojaAhUEHqwKHWSeCDAQFjALegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw0AQMz7YmH3ELkc8s3fmmoaIn the event the contract is thrown out generally the court will attempt to divide property in an equitable fashion.
This discussion deals with the factors the court will consider when dividing propertyhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://digitalcommons.law.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D3048%26context%3Dlalrev&ved=2ahUKEwiwgKTVi4jaAhVCZKwKHZTLB5sQFjAAegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0EOPjCqnIbfx6jNU8ROWdAIf no further questions please rate 5 stars to help boost my customer rating. Thank you
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer