Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My children aren’t comfortable in going to their fathers…

My children aren’t comfortable in...
My children aren’t comfortable in going to their fathers home anymore. One of my children said he had to sleep with something to protect himself because his father was so hostile towards him and he was nervous. I just moved to Maryland, Prince Georges County and don’t know the process for here (or anywhere for that matter). What can I do to/who can I contact to start the process of getting permanent custody while making sure they stay in my care?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Just to be clear, there is a court order allowing the father visitation? Have the children told you what he has done or does to them, to create this fear?

there is a court order… Our divorce agreement says 50-50 legal and custodial custody. And it’s never been an issue before until lately. I entered into a new relationship and moved and he is afraid that I’m going to file for child support in Maryland which is very strict about child-support. And he now sees that there is no way that we’re going to get back together or have control over things he felt he has control over be-for. Lastly he is a white-collar criminal who is on probation through next year and had process servers looking for him. One of my fears is that the boys witness him being arrested again or served or avoiding service. Not to mention he does not have the space to accommodate them they are 11 and 13 years old one is 5’5” and the other is 5’9” and they sleep in the same king size bed while he sleeps on the sofa. He was an efficiency.He’s verbally abusive to me and I’ve always had an underlying fear that there could be something going on but I had no reason hard-core reason to think so. My kids have told me that they don’t want to go back over there because of his yelling, agitated , grabbing them on the arm forcefully just an overall feeling of discomfort. We just sold our marital property. And he also did not benefit greatly from the proceeds as stated in separation agreement and he try to manipulate the outcome which didn’t go in his favor.My younger son who is very close to him and is 11 years old said he felt like he has to sleep with scissors because he feels like his father may do something to him. Previously I’ve always been very liberal with how much time they spent with him never had any restrictions on when they could go. Always thinking he would just direct hostility towards me and not them. They’ve caught him in numerous lies which also leads to the feeling uncomfortable with him. He also takes money from both of them (money I give them for allowance as well as money they get for Christmas and birthdays) and he’s sold their belongings without asking.

Thank you for the reply. In a situation like this, a motion would need to be filed with the court, to modify visitation/custody. In it, you would need to explain to the Judge what is happening and show and support that it is not in the best interest of the children to have overnight visits with the father and that he should have supervised visits going forward. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the children, so you want to show what the father is doing and has done, to create this environment. Of course, you also need to act in their best interest and if you have concerns about their safety or well being, can use your own discretion and decide to withhold visitation from him. It is important to be aware that if you do this, he could try and hold you in contempt of court and take you to court for violating the court order and you would have to defend and explain your actions.

Will calling child protective agency be beneficial? My youngest son is scared to have me disclose his father that I know what’s going on. His father tells him not to tell me about the money and his papa visit to school, etc. I feel like for their mental and psychological well-being in physical that something immediate needs to happen which is why am curious if some agency can step in the more rapidly to assist while working on the motion
Lastly is this something I should take one on my own by filling out paperwork in the court system in Maryland what do you suggest I get an attorney? He’s not using an attorney although he says he is

Yes, you can and report the father and they can perform a wellness check when they are with him and you can call the police as well. I think it is ALWAYS best to retain legal counsel and they can act on your behalf and handle this. You will have a better chance with an experienced attorney and they will know how to handle this. It may be more than just filing the form, so if you try and handle this on your own, you would be held to the same standard as an attorney, with handling this and going to court.

Thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Will do

Thank you and best of luck.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer