Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If I get a court order to a Resolution Management Conference…

Customer Question
If I get a...

If I get a court order to a Resolution Management Conference but it’s in a different state, what can I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

My husband filed papers for custody in Mesa, Arizona. In January. I filled out my side and sent it back. Today I received a Petition to Establish legal decision making.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

At the time of the first papers I had a service that filled out, properly- so they sad, the paperwork I sent back in. But at this time no, I do not have a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, I don’t have a lot. Of options or money it seems. My ex-husband lives in Mesa, Arizona and four years ago my son, (now 14) wanted to go stay with his dad. I let him. Three years ago my daughter (18 on Oct. 30th this year) wanted to go live in the big city and found its more exciting than she thought! Prior to that I had my children and raised them on my own since 2008 without any help from the father. We had a verbal agreement, that he know claims no knowledge of, that we wouldn’t expect child support from another we would co-parent our children and do what’s best for them. Once he remarried, that all went out the window.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If you are unable to appear because of the distance, you can file a motion with the court, asking the Judge to allow you to appear by phone. You can advise them of the hardship that this will cause and the inability to be there, as a result, and see if you can call in, using a court call type of service.

How do I go about this?
You would file a motion with the court. You would explain the situation to the judge and see if they would grant your request and allow it.