Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my wife keeps putting money designated for my retirement…

Customer Question
If my wife keeps...

If my wife keeps putting money designated for my retirement into her ROTH IRA instead of mine, would that cause a problem if we ever got divorced?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Umm, I think that is it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley

it could potentially yes

it would be marital property either way but it would be in her control and not yours

if something happened to her she could have someone else be the beneficiary and you would not get anything from that money

ok thank you!
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

I would insist that the money go into your account and if she is the beneficiary then she would get it upon your death

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 25 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "Michael Bradley ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

please rate my advice