Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am married going on two years, but in the rlelationship…

Customer Question
Good evening - I...

Good evening - I am married going on two years, but in the rlelationship for 28 years, very abusive, controlling, lies - just recently learned he brought a brand new car in Sept and I just found out a week ago

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I also found a deposit slip with 869,000.00. I didn’t say anything just took a picture of it - we talked about buying a condo and was applying for a loan and needed his bank statements and learned that a friend (a man) is his beneficiary

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

What are my rights - I live I. New York State

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No steps, want to know my rights

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
In the almost two years, little to no physical relationship, tells me I have no rights, abusive verbally, living a double life, NYC correction officer for almost 30 years
Is the lawyer working on my answer
What happened to the lawyer
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley

are you looking to file for divorce or are you looking for an answer if he passes away

Divorce
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

for estate purposes if married

If you write your spouse out of your will in New York, she can elect against it. A surviving spouse can waive acceptance of whatever her partner's will leaves her -- or doesn't leave her -- and instead take up to half the estate after payment of the decedent's debts, taxes and other expenses have been made. She can get half the estate if her husband left no surviving children. If he did leave children, she can accept a third of the estate and the balance goes to them. If the one-third portion is less than $50,000, the surviving spouse can take $50,000 instead. Spouses have six months to notify the court they want to elect against the will.

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

if you file for divorce then you can claim for any marital property

anything accumulated from the date of marriage until the date of separation

also, if any premarital property increase in value between the 2 dates stated above, the increase is also marital

Can i speak with you
Do I have rights to his pension
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

that is a premium service that you would need to request and pay for but yes w can talk

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

you would have rights to the marital portion of the pension

How do I request or pay for the call
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

I was able to offer it to you

Then I accept - it is 36.00 for how long
My direct number is(###) ###-####
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

the 36 is to communicate via computer

the offer I gave was an additional service

still a lot cheaper than if you were in my office

How much is it to speak with you
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago

59

the offer is in the thread in blue