Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is a case in LA Superior court. Divorce, Custody,

This is a case...

This is a case in LA Superior court. Divorce, Custody, Re-Location.
On March 13, 2018 my attorney informed me that we have a court date of April 6, 2018 for Attorney’s fees and cost and to reserve a trial date for the future.
He requested me to complete the information for the Income and Expense report with in 3 days. I complied. I also asked him for a copy of my file. This case has been going on for a considerable amount of time (almost 2 years with this attorney, 7 years in total.) I had also requested my file due to this attorney’s history of errors, not responding to my requests and so on. I did not have funds available to change attorneys and I had hoped we were coming to the end of this. I am also battling Lupus and Sarcoma and am on social security disability.
March 22, 2018, I e-mailed my attorney that the changes to the I&E were incorrect and I would not sign it until everything was correct. The first time I had a I&E to sign he gave it to me in court, moments before we were called. I signed it without checking the information provided. There were important facts that were wrong, and my husband’s attorney fried me on those facts.
On March 23, 2018 at 10:19 A.M. my attorney called me. He insisted that I signed the I&E and fax it immediately to him to make the deadline. He went on and on about this form has no weight, except that the petitioner (my husband) needed it by today. He was upset that I wasn’t grateful to him for getting the move away for us. I explained that I specifically stated to him that if the move away was going to incur more time with their dad that we would not move. Safety was my #1 priority. And if he would have used any of the binders of evidence it would have been over on one court date.
It was at that moment that my attorney informed me that he had sent me a filled-out Substitution of Attorney form stating that I was going to be representing myself, he demanded it ASAP and told me I would have access to my file after he received the signed paper.
I did not sign this, I do not know what transactions have been submitted or such, I just had a double mastectomy March 6, I live in Texas and I don’t know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in LA family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Its about my lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its stated in my question

3/24/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Mr. Ray. Please feel free to take your time

Here the best thing you can do since the lawyer is resigning is to sign it and seek a continuance of the mater.Prepare this and file it once the other lawyer has left.

Forms

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl306.pdf

You can find a new lawyer here

Contact the State Bar for Help

I am so sorry the lawyer dropped you, this should get you a continuance and you can find new lawyer to pick this up.It happens you just move forward.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight and wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Prayers to you here .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I sign the substitution it looks like I fired him and is attempting to drag this on further.
Shouldn’t he file a motion to withdraw since he dropped me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can I file this with the court. Im in Texas, court is in CA

He can file a motion to withdraw here thats an option.You can file the motion for continuance by mail or electronically if he drops you.You may want to file lawyer complaint here too later on.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank-you, I will.
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer