Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I got married 7 years ago she had filed and served me papers…

Customer Question
Hi I got married...

Hi I got married 7 years ago she had filed and served me papers while I was in prison. However I lost the papers. Do I need to refile or do they stay in the system and how do I obtain the info

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Tried goimg to legal aid where she wemt amd they refused to help me because they are representing her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No children no assists just need a divorve

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Will someone help me ??
I need to know if I can get a divorce by talking to you
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. P

I am sorry for your delay in receiving a response, but the experts are not site employees and have no control over when questions appear on our lists. I do apologize.

If you were served with divorce papers and never filed an answer, it is more likely than not she obtained divorce by default. However, you need to go to the clerk of court's office where the divorce was filed and you need to check your name with the clerk's office to see the disposition of the case. If the case file does not have a "final order of dissolution" entered in the case then you will need to likely file a brand new divorce case to get a divorce entered, since all of this was done so long ago.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.