Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex husband says our son cannot spend the night with a…

Hi. My ex husband...

Hi. My ex husband says our son cannot spend the night with a friend. Does he have a right to tell me that I cannot allow it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes divorce has been final for years

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Indiana

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have custody or visitation pursuant to a court order?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
We share custody.

Your husband can not forbid YOU from allowing your son to do what you choose to allow during your time with him.

If there is something you are allowing which endangers your son's safety, he can take it up before a judge, but he can not impose unilateral demands on you which fall outside the parenting order.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
thank you
so much

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer