Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a wife and three kids. I have suffered fro depression…

Second opinion] Hi, I...

Second opinion] Hi, I have a wife and three kids. I have suffered fro depression for years. I�ve hospitilized myself 3 times since 2013. I self medicate with beer drinking due to an affair my wife had before we got married. I thought I could get over it but struggle. I�ve been recently medicated to help with the depression. Due to my depression I have not participated in family events. My wife is overwhelmed and wants me to leave my house until I can be a more involved parent and prove I�m better. It would be more depressing to leave my home and kids. Can she force me to leave my own home? I�ve never physically hurt my family.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

She�s just tells by me to go live with my mother for 6 months but I�m afraid she�s going to make permanent decisions behind the sceens

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We live in ill Illinois

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.I'm sorry you and your family are going through such a tough time. Legally, your wife cannot force you out of the home based on the facts you presented. That would take a restraining order and you would need to be a violent threat for her to get one. Since you are now on medicine for your depression, if the medication works, you might be able to be more involved and enjoy participating in a way your condition prevented you from before. It would be wonderful if your wife will allow time for that process to take effect, and perhaps some counseling can help you through any roadblocks. If you're being currently monitored by a physician during this period, he or she can adjust the medication to have the best effect. Coupled with counseling, there may be a happy ending here. Without counseling, however, you and your wife might continue to butt heads and not get past what might otherwise be completely resolvable. Obviously there is a long history and love of family worth preserving.I wish you and yours the very best.I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue to provide assistance. If I have answered your question, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated. Five star ratings are especially appreciated.Good luck!Best,
Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer