Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The Loudoun County, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District…

Customer Question
The Loudoun County Virginia, Juvenile...
The Loudoun County Virginia, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, rules that my husband I have "joint custody" of our children. If we divorce, do I need to fight for custody again? My husband and I, live together with our two children. We live with a custody order, in place. However, we have an arrangement for parental partnership that might turn into a divorce.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/24/2018
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 5 months ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - Does your current custody order touch upon all aspects of parenting - such as decision making, extracurriculars, medical, holidays, etc?

to some extent. It is about visitation. We, as parents, are supposed to "confer and agree" on most aspects of our children's lives. Family visitation, is the core problem. My husband continues to be overly competitive with buying the children, and trips to Mexico, and other fancy places. He doesn't seem to understand, that all of the competitiveness doesn't matter, especially if the court has already decided on "joint custody". His parents, don't seem to understand this issue either. The competitiveness, is not healthy for the children.

Thank you for the information - the custody agreement that you currently have is a barebones version of the one that would be executed for a divorce proceeding. Yes, the join custody is the biggest thing and his competitiveness has no baring on the court. So the direct answer to your question is that there would need to be a much more in depth parenting agreement filed in family court.

I don't understand. Does this mean that custody of our two children, would need to be brought back to the table to fight over?
If we divorce.

No - your custody agreement would have to be amended to reflect all aspects of the children's lives moving forward. What you have now is just not detailed enough. But it is a great starting point.

Ok. The current custody order, stay in place, if we divorce. However, we would need to be more in "detail" about the guts of the current order. That is the only thing that would change? So, there is not a reason to be competitive with each other for custody, at this time. Even if we divorce. So, my husband should not be trying to "buy" the children, so that they choose him.

That is correct - even if a custody order was not in place, being "competitive" or trying to buy the kids is seen as a negative in the eyes of the court.