Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I think my husband is hiding money in sons name or SS. How…

Customer Question
I think my husband...

I think my husband is hiding money in sons name or SS. How would I find the account or accounts. he is claiming he has no money and gets a free lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My husband lives in ny and I live in nj

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I dont know where to start

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I haven't done anything that is why I am asking for help.
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 3 months ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - what makes you think he is hiding money?

I am asking for my sister. Can you help me help her. Should I call the SS department or the credit bureaus. The child is 11.

Thank you for the information - The first thing that you need to do is reach out to the credit bureaus and ask them about credit history and different account/debts. If that doesn't yield the results that satisfy you. The next step would be to contact your bank/(s) and ask them for a full accounting of all accounts associated with you and your husband. Finally, if that doesn't yield the results you are looking for you will need to hire a forensic accountant to do a full credit history report on you and your husband. That will be the absolute full accounting of every dollar associated with you and your husband. That would be my final option as that would also be the most expensive.

I hope that answers your question and gives you the next steps - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars