Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a grandson, 7, where my 30 year old son has joint…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a grandson, 7, where my 30 year old son has joint custody with the child's mother. My son sees his child every weekend from Friday night to Sunday night. Recently the child has been acting up in school and his mother will not let him see his father the last two weekends as punishment to the child. My son disagrees with this approach. Also my son took my grandson to a psych to place him on ADHD medication. Dr believes this will help the child's behavior. The mother does not believe in medication and is withholding it. My question is what steps does my son need to take to see his child and also what are the options with the medication from a legal standpoint
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 5 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I am waiting for an answer to the two questions I posed. Unless I am mistaken I submitted another question back last week, (not the lease question), but a family legal question. Never received an answer and the question was closed. Why does this happen? Can we concentrate on the question I posed yesterday.Thanks
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

My question is what steps does my son need to take to see his child

Response 1: If the mother is denying your son his Court ordered parenting time, then he needs to go to Court and file contempt action against the mother. The mother has no right to interfere with your son's visitation as punishment for the child acting up. This is something that she should have discussed with the father and two of them should have put their heads together to find the best course of action for the child. He can obtain contempt forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office or online if the Court makes forms available online.

and also what are the options with the medication from a legal standpoint

Response 2: He needs to file Motion with the Court for an Order permitting him to seek medical treatment for the child and to force the mother to give the child the prescribed medication because that's what is in the best interest of the child. He can also obtain the Motion forms in the Clerk's office or online if the Court makes forms available online.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.