Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is there any statues or rules about people on the city

counsel being related to each...
Is there any statues or rules about people on the city counsel being related to each other. Couple examples. Two of the counsel members are relatives of the Mayor. Or a husband and wife both being on the city counsel. The town I live in has a husband and wife on the counsel and the Mayor is directly related to two of the other counsel members. And another counsel member is an in-law. Is that even legal? Lol
3/24/2018
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Nepotism is the practice of those with power favoring or giving preference to their relatives, demonstrated mostly by giving them jobs. Generally there is a rule against those in power (mayor's) hiring relatives that they will supervise. It's not prohibited for family members to work together. The general idea is they don't want people who are related to be in a supervisor/subordinate position, and or those in positions to hire, giving jobs to their family members. So it wouldn't be an issue for instance if they work in different departments where one is not directly or indirectly supervising the other.

Here, council members and the mayor are elected officials. They were not "hired" in the traditional sense. So if they were all elected to their position then the fact that they are related is not an issue. Additionally the members on the council are not in a supervisor/subordinate relationship, they all work together with equal power and decision making authority. The mayor, who is the chief executive of the city/town does not "supervise" the council, and the council does not "supervise" the mayor. They work in tandem. Generally the mayor does not vote on council motions, resolutions, or ordinances, but he may have the power to veto them. Although it may appear to be inappropriate, and scrutiny should be applied when there appears to be an abuse of power, I don't believe that is the issue here because the relatives are not supervising each other, and they were not appointed by their relative the were elected by the public.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so cost you nothing extra. Experts are independent contractors and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well one would think that your statement that they were elected would be correct in most sitsuations. However in this case that statement would be incorrect. Prob hard for you to believe, but I will leave it at that. I was told in most places relatives of someone already on the counsel were prohibited from even running for a seat on the counsel. Therefore the fact they were elected would never come into the equation due to they couldn't even be on the ballot to be elected. But reading between the lines of your answer that also would be incorrect. By your answer if it is possible to have family members both on the counsel then there would be nothing keeping them from being on the ballot to be elected. Correct?

Yes, if they are allowed to be on the ballot then they'd be allowed to be elected to hold that position.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If they are allowed? Could you expand on that part of your answer please?
Allowed meaning they meet the minimum requirements to be a candidate (age, residency,etc)
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer