Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Dss took my children out of my home after my estranged wife…

Customer Question
Dss took my children...

Dss took my children out of my home after my estranged wife was found to have given my 14 year old daughter drugs or means to do drugs. I tested negative for all illicit substances. I was just denied custody again and my children are still in their safety plan and out of my home. It has been 46 days but If I pay enough money for certain classes I can get them back

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I can't afford an attorney and dss told me If I fight it, my children will be removed for even longer

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

SC. the determination of facts sheet has lies about my children knowing I smoke Marijuana. The dss case worker told them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been primary care giver for my now four year old son since he was 1.5 years old, My wifes home smelled of marijuana on the intial visit because my daughter was allowed to smoke in the home, she has admitted to smoking in the same closed room as my little boy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

What can I do, how can I get my children back? I have been finicially supporting them still since their removal and now dss wants to me to pay for parenting classes and drug/ alcohol treatment. I have been threatened with being arrested and never seeing my children again. How do I fight DSS in SC
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Unfortunately at this point, since DSS has gotten involved, you do need to comply with the requirements they've set forth.

DSS does have the legal authority to terminate parental rights if a parent does not comply with the reunification/ parenting plan as set forth by DSS.

It is possible that you can hire an attorney to file some motions in opposition to their findings, but if hiring an attorney is not a financial option right now, then you really do need to comply with the requirements and classes being set forth by DSS.

It is understandably a very frustrating situation, but they are the ones legally in position to terminate your rights if you do not comply, so it is best to move along with the reunification plan as they set forth.

If you do decide that you'd like to hire an attorney to combat this, you can contact the South Carolina State Bar and ask for a referral to a family lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(803)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!